Friday, May 7, 2010

On the Home Stretch

I'm sitting here now contemplating going to bed (my eyelids can barely stay open, but for some reason I feel the need to stay up). I finished my last piano lesson today and I have my recital tomorrow and after that I'm done teaching for the summer. While I will miss all my students, I'm certainly looking forward to a summer break. Not that I actually anticipate having much of a break; I vividly remember having a newborn. There's no break involved. Actually I can't exactly say that I "vividly" remember it because I was so sleep deprived and sore that I'm sure things are pretty hazy. But either way, I have a pretty good idea of what's ahead of me.

One of my good friends sent me a surprise package in the mail today... it was the porta crib that I had registered for! That was the last big thing I needed and so to have it sitting on my doorstep this afternoon was such a big relief! So now Ty can come whenever he'd like (at least after this weekend, anyway).

Back to my recital. This is my 5th recital and it's the first time that I've had enough sense not to play in it myself. I always commit to playing in my recitals and then have to rush to figure out something to play and then pray that I don't screw up royally while I'm performing it (no one wants a teacher who doesn't play well). Between knowing I have to perform, putting together the programs, making sure my students are ready, and overseeing the snacks that are available at the end (most of the time I wind up bringing something as well), recitals tend to make for a pretty stressful time for me. But this year, I decided not to play (the students and parents will just have to trust that I know what I'm doing), my friend Heather, who will be joining us with her guitar students, is putting together the programs, and I'm not bringing a single snack (though I may make a punch... we'll see). And so really, I feel like I'm just going to show up and enjoy it. And hope not to go into labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment