Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Just When You Think...

I was cleaning this afternoon while Ty was sleeping and Tommy was playing quietly with his blocks, just thinking about how I'm really getting this mom thing down. The kids were fed and happy, the kitchen was getting tidy, and I even cleaned out my pantry a bit. I didn't notice what was missing.

A few minutes later, as I whistled to myself and was feeling all on top of things, I began to switch Tommy's bedding from the washer to the dryer. I noticed that there were pieces of something in the washer with the sheets. And it had an odd, almost sickening smell. Then I found a plastic lid. I tried to figure out what could have fallen in the washer (which is in the pantry, so I have to work extra hard to make sure I don't wash food on a regular basis). There were teeny tiny pieces of cardboard everywhere and everything felt sticky. Finally I realized what had fallen in: an entire large canister of Italian bread crumbs. The only thing left in tact was the plastic lid and a metal ring that was somehow attached.

I started to freak out, but realized that would solve nothing and so I took everything outside and shook as many breadcrumbs and cardboard pieces out as possible. They all landed on me. I smelled like chicken parmesan. Then I proceeded to re-wash everything and clean out the washing machine. It got most of the mess out, but I haven't gotten the guts to see how they came out in the dryer yet.

I'm officially withdrawing my name from the "Mom Who's Got it All Under Control" contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment