Saturday, October 3, 2009

Sports Rituals

We are a sports-friendly family. If you've been reading this blog for the last few weeks, you may have picked up on the fact that one of our favorite forms of family entertainment is to attend a local high school game, whatever happens to be in season. Dean and I have both been involved in sports at one time or another, and Tommy is already doing the same. As anyone in athletics knows, there are lots of rituals. Some have a purpose, most don't. Just a lot of tradition.

Well last night while we were at a high school football game, we had the privilege of standing on the track where the band was warming up for their halftime show. They did the standard scales, holding long notes to get in tune and other musical warm-ups. But then they did something I've never seen a band do before. Maybe I just don't pay attention, but I certainly will now. They all got in a clump and began doing organized stretches and calisthenics. Now I understand marching around with a tuba may get a little tiring, but they went all out. Here was the only picture that turned out. Yes, I'm the person making fun of the band by taking pictures of their stretching sessions. I believe this is a quad stretch.



This morning Tommy had his third soccer day. He participated even more and stayed on our field the entire time. There were a few times that in the middle of the drill, he would kick the ball about halfway and then just go the rest of the way and leave his ball behind. But I guess that's to be expected every so often. My new favorite part of their day is at the end of the practice. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment