Friday, November 6, 2009

Boys' Night Out

Well if we didn't know it before, it became evident last night. Dean is officially the fun parent. I was teaching piano lessons yesterday and so Dean took Tommy for some daddy/son time. They were going to have a football-themed afternoon, attending the Godby practice and then going to the Chiles vs. Lincoln game. As they headed out the door, I asked Dean to please have Tommy eat somewhat healthy. Like grilled chicken and vegetables or something. He didn't exactly agree, but he somewhat acknowledged my request.

About an hour later I get a picture on my phone of Tommy eating at Red Elephant. The pizza place where he eats about 3 times a week. Oh well. I found out later they also got dessert. This kid was livin' it up!

Before they went for pizza, they headed to Godby's football practice, where our friend Joe is a coach. Tommy got the special treatment. Joe brought the kickers over to where Tommy was and he got to kick with them. He even got to kick off a tee while Joe held the football. He had a blast.

Then after their dinner run, they went to the Chiles vs. Lincoln game. They arrived about an hour early, which would make me go insane, but Dean loves watching warm-ups (why?!? why would you love watching warm-ups??) and so now Tommy does too. He threw the little football that they handed out back and forth with Dean and stood by the fence while the players got ready. At one point he started stretching with them.



When Lincoln had a pretty good lead, Tommy looked over from where they were in the stands and noticed that the North Florida Fair was in town (the stadium happens to be adjacent to the fairgrounds) and he talked Dean into going to the fair. This was a feat in and of itself. Dean promised they could go on one ride and Tommy chose a huge slide that you ride down on a mat. He's afraid of climbing things so that was interesting. But he and Dean made it up to the top and Dean managed to sit down with him on the mat (he relayed the entire harrowing experience to me and let's just say I'm glad I wasn't there). But Tommy had a blast going down. Then Dean bought him some green glow-in-the-dark sword thing, which of course Tommy needed. On the way home he fell asleep, sword in hand. This is what I saw when I met them at the car in the driveway.

1 comment: