Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Attempt at Frugality

I've been blessed immensely with this great side business of teaching piano lessons. I blinked and now I suddenly have 22 students! But I'll stop teaching in the beginning of May and have a baby and I'll quickly have 2 children and no students. Meaning, no extra income. And one extra baby (don't worry I'll teach again in the fall). So as the financial planner in the family, I'm trying to think ahead. You know, saving all my piano checks to pay things off, not getting used to living on two incomes, etc. This becomes a bit of a challenge, as we've grown accustomed to my little side income. But I've been clipping coupons, with help from Frugal Coupon Living. That has saved a lot. However, we were still spending too much. Something had to go.

That something was eating out. We have a crazy schedule, so unless I'm planning like crazy, dinner will simply not get made (or eaten) about 3 nights a week. And it's much easier to grab lunch on the run than always have something on hand. Well, say hello to someone who is now planning like crazy. How do I do it, you ask? I'd love to share!

I sat down on a Sunday night with my coupon inserts in one hand and the Publix sale ad for that week in the other (and Frugal Coupon Living on the computer for extra help). Based on what was on sale that week, meat-wise, I planned our dinner menu. It had to include at least one vegetable and be something that could potentially be leftovers for lunch or dinner on a crazy day. For both this week and last week I was able to plan a meal every single night that we didn't have plans. Here's this week's menu:

Monday: Dean had a Bible study at Coosh's, Tommy was eating at MeMe's, and I was eating at my small group. No meal needed.

Tuesday: Dean was out of town, I had a frozen Kashi Spinach and Mushroom trio pizza in my freezer from a few weeks ago when they were on sale at Publix. Tommy and I split it. They're delicious and healthy!

Wednesday: Autumn Sausage Casserole (from a great website called A Year of Slow Cooking. Definitely worth checking out)

Thursday: Slow Cooker Potato Soup (also from the same website)

Friday: We have dinner plans with my family and Dean's family at his parents' house. No meal needed.

Saturday: Lasagna

Sunday: Slow Cooker Shepherd's Pie (yes, again from the same website).

I was able to get all my ingredients and groceries for the week plus an extra pack of chicken breasts, because you never know when they'll come in handy, for a grand total of $78.00 (roughly). Not bad to feed a family of 3 (plus my parents for 3 nights) lunch and dinner for a week!

2 comments:

  1. I have a plethera of $5 off $25 & $10 off $40 competitor coupons if you'd like some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And great dinners they were!!
    Mom and Dad (and Jason!)

    ReplyDelete