Monday, August 23, 2010

First Day of School!



Today marked the beginning of the next stage in raising our children. We are now at the mercy of the school calendar. Actually, I'm so excited about Tommy starting preschool. He got up this morning and couldn't wait to go to school. We had packed his backpack (which he kept calling his "suitcase" up until a few days ago) and lunchbox together last night and so he was very excited to use them. When we went to meet his teacher last week he was excited until about 10 minutes before we left the house and then came the meltdown. He totally lost it. Afterward he told us he "had been a little scared but then I was ok" so I was kind of expecting a bit of the same today. Not so.

I pulled into the school parking lot and he had his seatbelt off before I could even stop the car. I took his hand and we walked in the building and down the hall until we got to his classroom. I had envisioned a sweet moment where I got a bit misty and Tommy would tell me that he didn't want me to go and would miss me. Complete with the "Full House" music in the background. Instead he went right in the room, put his lunchbox in his cubby hole and went to play. The only one who cried was Ty, who needed a nap, and just as I was telling Tommy goodbye (from across the room), he spit up all over my shoulder. But I'm so glad that Tommy had no separation issues. I wouldn't have it any other way.

As far as I can tell, he had a great day at school and there were no problems. He's excited to go back tomorrow but he has now officially been assigned a very early bedtime (for him, anyway). School certainly takes it out of him!

All in all, this is a great experience for all of us. I get to spend the mornings having one-on-one time with Ty and Tommy gets to be with lots of kids and listen to someone other than me. It's a win-win situation!

1 comment:

  1. soo cute :) Tommy is going to run that pre-school in no time. Watch out Tally Toddlers!

    ReplyDelete