Friday, August 6, 2010

Vacation: Day 2

As promised, here's a summary of the next day or two of our vacation. We stayed at Ridgecrest retreat center in the Blue Ridge Mountains, just outside of Black Mountain (about 20 minutes away from Asheville). It was actually pretty chilly, as evidenced by the way I had to bundle Ty.



We have a family tradition of going to see waterfalls in Pisgah National Forest. This year Dean and Tommy made the climb down the rocks and into the frigid water while I gladly stayed warm and dry because I had to hold Ty. Tommy was really excited at first but when he put his feet in, he was done and ready to climb back up to me.


There was also a great little park about 15 minutes away from where we were staying. It had a really cute wooden playground and a few streams with rocks just perfect for Tommy to explore. He could have stayed for hours. Dean even jumped in to join the fun.



And I learned a few things about my family while on this vacation:

1.) Ty's not a huge fan of his carseat. He's always tolerated it and done well, but this trip set him over the edge. If he never goes in it again, I think he'd be fine.

2.) When I'm tired, I become a mute. Not so for Tommy. His mouth is the last thing to shut down. There were many times that we were having a full conversation and he would stop to take a breath. Next thing I knew, he was snoring. Unbelievable. Then when he wakes up, he remembers exactly where we were in the conversation and continues it. If that's not talent, I don't know what is.

3.) Dean's a little more adventurous than I thought. And when he's on vacation, he's quicker to get his feet dirty than when he's at home. There's no question he absolutely loves being dad to little boys.

4.) It's not so bad going to bed at 8:30 right alongside the kiddos. Will I do it now that I'm home? Probably not. But maybe I should.

Come back tomorrow to hear about the zoo and the big traveling mistake that we made.

No comments:

Post a Comment