Friday, July 24, 2009

Reunion Etiquette

Dean's getting old. His 10-year reunion is this weekend (granted, when my 10-year reunion rolls around next summer, it won't mean that I'm old). Dean went to Leon High School, which is the oldest school in Florida. Most people who went to Leon have this cult-like love for it that I'll never understand. Dean's already planning on moving into the Leon school zone to be sure that Tommy can go there. He's not even 3 yet. But I guess it's good to plan ahead.

So now I get to go to this uncharted reunion territory. Thankfully, I'm friends with a number of the people he graduated with, so it won't be awkward. He's so excited about it and has been for the last, well, ten years. I'm excited about it too. We were talking about it last night, though, and he made a great point about reunions in general. When we were all in high school, we had friends that we knew everything about. We did everything together and swore we'd be best friends for life. Of course we lost touch about 3 weeks after graduation and haven't spoken since. Fast forward 10 years and now there are real jobs (hopefully), and maybe spouses and children. When you see them, will it be weird? You knew them when they were 18, not 28. And do you hug the people you were only somewhat friends with? Do you promise to keep in touch with everyone, knowing that you probably won't talk to a lot of them until the 20 year reunion? This is all so confusing! I guess we better get it figured out before tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment