Monday, March 16, 2009

Current Obsessions

Since so many of you have asked, I've decided to do a post on my current obsessions at the moment. Okay, so no one asked, but I knew if you thought I had current obsessions you'd totally want to know all about them!

In no particular order:

1. Couponing- Not a word, but certainly an obsession. When my friend Devon told me about the site frugalcouponmom.com I immediately went there and started taking Ashley's advice. And shortly after I began collecting and using coupons and only buying things on sale (for the most part) I have been consistently saving at least 40-50% off of what I've been spending. Example: If I spend $80 on groceries, my savings at the bottom is $40. That's $120 worth of groceries! And it's all stuff we actually use and need. I don't just get things because I can get them cheap (unless they're free or I actually get paid to buy them... go to her site and you'll understand!). It's like this crazy high I'm on. The more I save, the more excited I get to see how much I can save. Today I got a free tube of toothpaste and you'd have thought that I won the lottery.

2. Eating better, feeling better- It's general, I know, but in the past week I've been watching what I'm eating like a hawk. And I truly feel better. I have more energy and perhaps, just perhaps, I'm shedding the last few pounds of baby weight (does it count as baby weight if your child is almost in preschool?!?). I started by making my own bread from freshly milled flour... which I'm still doing at least weekly and feeling way better because of it. Then my good friend Jenna is a dietitian and told me about an amazing site called The Daily Plate where you can calculate how many calories you should be eating a day based on a slew of things and then you keep an online food journal. It's amazing how much I actually don't want that piece of chocolate cake when I know I have to report at the end of the day that I ate it. Not that I don't treat myself anymore, I'm just more careful (cake every day is probably not a good thing). It's much easier just to have an orange or something like that! And the site not only breaks down calories, but also fat, protein, fiber, carbs, sugar, and all sorts of other things. Try it, but beware: you'll become obsessed too!

3. Yummy healthy snacks- Okay, this kinda goes along with #2, but I'm amazed at all the cool organic things you can find if you just look for them. Annie's bunny snacks are awesome (and they're much cheaper at Target than at Publix, in case you care). And I regularly check Ainsley's site to see what new snacks she's found. In this case, it's candy. I know what you're thinking... do I really want organic candy?!? And the answer is a resounding YES! And now when you go to her site, you can enter to win a free bag and try it for yourself. And if you don't get a free bag, never fear. If you shop around, it's really not that bad to buy organic and healthy. So give it a try.

There's lots of other things I'm excited about... very non important things like my percolator coffee maker that my grandmother gave me a year and a half ago and Gain laundry detergent. But I figured these are the big 3. What are yours?

1 comment:

  1. Fresh squeezed OJ, just about every morning!!
    Kudos to Grandma Pat for the percolator, and she too can relate to being a coffee snob!!

    ReplyDelete