Sunday, March 15, 2009

It's Good to Be Back

We just got back from weekend number 2 of being gone (I'll be gone for 5 in a row, so I'm just getting geared up). This weekend we were in Ocala while Dean was speaking at a DiscipleNow rally. We decided to make a mini family vacation out of it. Tommy decided that he loves hotels. I mean really loves them. The fact that he could play with toys while sitting or laying on the bed and watching TV was the coolest thing ever to him. And then swimming was a blast. All day today he's been saying "Go back to the hotel!"

I also got to see our friends Lindsay, Shane, and Riley Knipple. Tommy was pumped to play with Riley and they had a blast together playing at the park. Lindsay got some great pictures... my camera batteries died. Story of my life. Anyway it was a great time. Followed by a great lunch with a former Well-er, Kate and her family. It was so nice of them to drive 45 minutes to meet me (after a 25 minute detour on my part) and Tommy for lunch at Woody's in Wildwood.

Unfortunately we didn't get to listen to any of Dean's messages while we were there. Tommy started getting really sleepy about 2 minutes into the first one and we didn't even make the second one because he fell asleep in the car on the way there (it was only 6:30 at night) and so I turned around and took him back to the hotel where he slept all night long til 8:30 this morning. Not a bad deal!

I did get to her him tonight at The Well, which again, was great. Loved the setup on stage. I always get excited to walk in and see what the stage looks like. Matthew always does an incredible job with his setup team of creative people. Dean's doing a great series now called "You Pick" where he answers questions that people have submitted over the past few weeks. And so you never know what will happen... guess you just have to be there!

As much as I love being on mini vacations, there's one thing I always look forward to about being back: good coffee. I admit it... I'm a coffee snob. While I love the idea of having a little personal coffee maker right next to my bed and at my disposal whenever I need it, I'm always disappointed in the finished product. Now I'm certainly not a high maintenance person, but when it comes to my coffee, I need things a certain way. At home, I don't get it set up the night before because I know having cold fresh water in the coffee maker is essential. And grinding the beans immediately before use is ideal. So in the hotel when they give you this single serving disposable pod thing and some nondairy powdered creamer thing (which says in bold letters on the back "CONTAINS MILK") I can't help but be disheartened. And the lobby isn't much better. Although they do have flavored cream (but it's Coffee Mate... read the ingredients, my friends... not so good), the coffee itself still isn't that great. So the first thing I did when I got back to Tallahassee today was to drive through Starbucks and just get a tall coffee. And oh was it good. Not that they don't have Starbucks in Ocala, it just makes being home that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment