Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Cooking Part 2

I'm still chewing on this whole lost art of cooking thing (no pun intended). Thankfully in my family, it's never been a lost art. I've been blessed to have a mother, grandmother, and great grandmother who love to cook (my great grandmother passed away about 15 years ago at the age of 98, but I hear she could cook it down in her day). And we're also all naturally packrats, so it's no surprise that my mom just found a program from a cooking school that my great grandmother attended back in 1937.

At any given time in my parents' house, you can find either my mom or grandmother cooking something. And there's usually something yummy (and fattening) baking in the oven. We didn't eat out that much growing up and I never thought anything of it. Now when I go back to Ft. Lauderdale and see all the incredible restaurants and realize how many of them I've never been to, I wonder why. But it's because most of our meals were home cooked.

Unfortunately I've gotten a bit lazy and I'm not a huge fan of cooking for just Tommy and I when Dean can't be here (he has meetings at night a lot). But I'm trying to get better about that. And I also live about 6 minutes away from my mother-in-law, who is always cooking delicious meals for us, so it's easy to get lazy about cooking for just us. Back when we lived in Louisville and had no money and no family there, I cooked just about every night. And lots of those nights we had at least a few of the football players from the University of Louisville over, so I had to cook A LOT of food. And I was so good about going through my cookbooks and making sure I made a new recipe at least once a week that I'd never tried before. I need to jump back on that train. It was way more fun to cook when I was trying to be inventive. Maybe I should just take a cookbook and make each recipe. Dean wouldn't be too keen on that though.

No comments:

Post a Comment