Friday, December 26, 2008

'Twas the Day After Christmas




I just spent over an hour putting together a Thomas track, complete with a station house, a tunnel, a bridge, and directional change places and as soon as I finished all Tommy wanted to do was watch Curious George. Figures.

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, I know it was one of my best. It was so nice having my parents there and I really enjoyed having a houseful of people at all times at my inlaws. I'm definitely a "the more, the merrier" type, so 15 people around the dinner table was right up my alley.

Tommy had a bit of an overwhelming day. This was his first Christmas where he really could understand what was going on and, poor kid, all he wanted to do was play with each toy as he got them. We just insisted that he keep on opening gifts (otherwise we'd still be opening them now) and he responded by having major meltdowns. When he opened Thomas bath toys earlier on in the morning, he grabbed them and ran toward the bathroom, saying "Tommy go take a bath!" so when we had to say no, he wasn't thrilled, to say the least.

In all of his confusion and misunderstandings, I did find one that was really touching. All season long we've been talking about how Christmas is when we celebrate Jesus' birthday. He's been pumped about that one, mostly because he knows we eat cake at birthday celebrations. But when he woke up yesterday morning and saw me icing Jesus' cake, he got so excited to go to the party... to see Baby Jesus! He talked all about how he was going to see Mary and Joseph and the sheep and Baby Jesus and Jesus would sit in a chair next to him and blow out the candles. I tried to explain that Jesus lives in our hearts, but of course that's a bit tough for a two-year-old to wrap his mind around. So we just tried to change the subject. We moved on to Santa and how there would be more presents at MeMe and BeBe's house and we asked him who would be there. His only response was an excited "Jesus!" We kept suggesting other people too and he would finish with "And Jesus!"

It occurred to me last night that I could really learn something from Tommy. More than any presents he would receive, he just wanted to see Jesus. After all the craziness at Christmas, he had his focus exactly where it should be. Of course he had a great time and loved all his presents but I think what he wanted most was for Jesus to be there. I pray for that same desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment