Friday, February 27, 2009

Peace Like A River - Hoochee Mama Book Club Review

For the month of February I've been reading a really great book called "Peace Like A River". Actually I finished it in about a week and a half and it's been sitting on my dresser since then collecting dust and library fines. All that aside though, I loved the book. It moved along at a good pace, the characters were relatable, the writing style was easy to follow, and it just really held my attention. I found myself picking it up to read parts every spare chance I got. Whether I was laying in bed at night or sauteeing chicken I was reading whenever I could.

I felt for Ruben... he wanted so badly to be brave all the time and always wound up either having an asthma attack or backing down from doing what he wanted to do. You couldn't help but love him. Then there was the adventurous Swede (I loved that name too) who had quite a knack for old west poetry. Davy bothered me with the fact that he wouldn't just turn himself in, but at the same time I would have been disappointed if he had. And Jeremiah Land was great as the Christlike figure in the book. At times I was very frustrated with him and he seemed naive, but there were so many interesting spiritual parallels in his life with all his miracles.

The ending surprised me at first but then when it all worked out it made perfect sense. Read the book to see what I mean! I haven't even come close to giving it justice here. Dean kept asking me what it was about and all I could come up with was "A family who takes a trip across the country to find their fugitive brother." which is just the bare essentials of what it's about. So again, read it. I think you'll love it!

1 comment:

  1. Ben and I had a similar conversation about the book.. it's hard to put into words all that it is. Thanks for being a part of the HBC.=)

    And congrats on the new nephew!

    ReplyDelete