Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sunday on Thursday

So I'm finally getting around to doing a Sunday recap. Yes, I know it's Thursday, don't judge me.

If you were at the night service, you got to see Todd Doss's awesome rendition of "Don't Stop Believing" to open up the service. I even got to rock it out on keys to that song (who doesn't want to play keys for an awesome Journey song?!) The rest of the music was really great, I especially love the song "With Everything". I guess I'm kind of on a Hillsong kick right now. You can watch it all here.

Dean was a-mazing. He's still in the series called "We're Just Not That Into You" and he talked about the Israelites basically slapping God in the face by building a golden calf and then worshiping it instead of the God who brought them out of Egypt only a couple months before. Then Dean called out some of the cows in our life. Of course there had to be a fun prop so for the "cow of me", he brought out a real stand-up Chick-Fil-A lifesize cow with a hole cut in the face, so you could insert your own face and take pictures. It went over well. And it's still in our guest bedroom.

He concluded that we needed to "get our redneck on, chew some dip, and go cow tipping". And he really got fired up in the night service. He just began reading chapters of Scripture that pertained to all of this, becoming more emotional as he read. It's awesome to see when God has placed such a burden on someone and they can't help but to declare His word. The sad thing is, God has placed this burden and responsibility on all of us and we just keep turning back to those cows that are simply more convenient.

What stuck out to me was how powerful just the reading of Scripture is. Dean didn't need commentary when he started reading, he just read large portions. The Bible stands alone, it doesn't need any help. It would just do me good to remember that more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment