Monday, September 14, 2009

Sunday Recap

I'm exhausted today and when I look back on my weekend I can see why. Backtrack to Friday at lunch. I get a last minute text from our music leader at the Well this week (Scott Simmons) saying that the keyboardist is out sick and they need me to fill in Sunday. So I had practice with the band at 9:00 on Saturday morning. A couple hours after that was over, I headed to Trinity Reformed Church where I was playing in a wedding for a friend of Dean's and mine. After the reception (where, incidentally, the tent we were sitting under collapsed from the massive storm that was going on and we got momentarily trapped), I went home with Dean, changed clothes, and met my friend Lindsay (who needs to blog again) for coffee. Got home at 10:30. Whew.

Sunday, it all started again. I left at 8:00 am to get to Godby (with a pitstop for coffee and a bagel) to play in the band. Those guys and gals are awesome. So much talent up there and I kinda wonder what I'm doing there half the time. The music was really great this week, you can listen to it here.

Dean had an incredible message this week. He's on week 2 of a series called "We're Just Not That Into You" about how we care more about our finances, families, friends, football, and basically everything else than we care about God. We're only into Him when it's convenient for us. I'm sure it's evident everywhere, but you can see it clearly here in Tallahassee where everyone goes to church, but if something better comes up or if they get a hangnail, it's not a priority. On a sidenote, I saw a family at the Well yesterday morning that I knew from Fort Lauderdale and we were talking for a bit. Their son is a freshman at FSU this year and he's been to the Well 3 times and loves it. Friday night, he had an emergency appendectomy (when is it not an emergency?) and Sunday morning he was at church. I'm just sayin'.

So back to Dean's message. He started by reading the verse in Galatians that asks the very pointed question, "Am I now trying to please God or man?" and proceeded to talk about the areas where we try to gain approval. Anywhere from following religious protocol, to listening to the peanut gallery and pleasing our friends and families for acceptance, to how we view ourselves. Then he remedied all of that by stating "I don't have an answer for how to stop doing this. But I do know that Jesus Christ is Lord" and he explained that all throughout the Bible God always offers himself as our solution. Then he went on to read Ephesians 1:4-14, which is possibly one of the most encouraging passages of Scripture. It was a really great service.

Then when it was over we got to do it all again a few hours later. And I loved every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment