Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Adventures in Potty Training Begin

Well, I've finally decided to go ahead and try it. I'm not at my wits end with diapers or anything, I just feel like now's as good a time as any to try to tackle the potty training thing. So yesterday I invested a hard earned $10 into a plastic potty chair that goes in his bathroom across from the big potty (it's funny, I always refer to it as the "big potty" now, even when talking to adults). I'm not quite sure how to do this thing - I haven't read any books or googled it or anything, but we started today with Tommy just sitting on the potty after breakfast. At first he wasn't too sure of it, but then when he realized that he gets to be naked (or at least partly naked), he thought it was a pretty good deal. So he sat. And I waited. And gave him a drink. And ran the sink to hear flowing water. Sure enough, he peed. Of course it was as soon as he stood up because he was bored and wanted to chase Dorsi around the house naked instead.

I learned a few very important lessons from this. When you're potty training, remove the rug (and any other cloth item) from the bathroom. Also, keep the door closed in case your naked peeing toddler wants to chase your dog- for the house's sake and the dog's. So if you need me in the next few days, you know where to find me! And if you have any suggestions, I'm open to anything.

1 comment: