Tuesday, January 13, 2009

That Guy in Step Class



I went to the gym last night and headed up stairs to do some weights (or pump iron, if you will). There are two areas of weights in my gym, one downstairs with lots of free weights and lots of "gym guys" (you know the type, cutoff sleeves, shaved arms, spray on tan, may or may not be wearing fingerless gloves) and one up stairs with the older crowd. The Century Village crowd. So I usually opt to go upstairs. That little weight area is right outside the classroom where there happened to be a step class going on. Personally, I hate step. It was about 5:30, so the place was absolutely packed. I looked through the glass door as I was walking by and saw a priceless sight. Really, it needs a video to fully convey the full effect, but try to picture it in your mind (I think it would have been creepy if I pulled out a video camera right then and there). Tucked in the middle of two sweet old ladies was a "gym guy" who appeared to be in his thirties. Smack there in the middle of the back row. I watched for a moment as he was doing complex grapevine steps with an added twist and grand sweeping motions with his arms in the air. Like a slightly more masculine Richard Simmons. I have to say, he followed along pretty well! I couldn't tell if he was mad that he was there or just concentrating on the step-ball-change really hard. But it was quite the site to see! I think I need to go to the gym more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment