Monday, January 26, 2009

Potty Training Day 1: Mission Aborted


So it didn't exactly go as planned. He got up at 5:30 this morning coughing and wouldn't go back to sleep in his bed so we were sluggish on the couch until about 7. Then he was ready to go. So I gave him his breakfast and then around 7:30 decided to remove the diaper. I had 6 pairs of big boy pants so I figured that should last me through the day. Silly me!

By 8:30, I had washed 4 pairs of underwear (he was going roughly every 7 minutes... don't do the math, I know it doesn't add up!). It slowed down slightly after that. I would make him sit on the potty that I had moved in front of the TV and give him lots to drink while he was sitting there. I even kept popping Smartees in his mouth for as long as he would sit there! And wouldn't you know, the minute he got up, he would have an accident!

By noon, I had washed all six pairs of underwear twice and he was crying, saying "All done big boy pants!" He also insisted on giving Elephant a bath in the bathtub and I wasn't sure why until I started helping him and realized that Elephant had been his latest target... his whole head was soaked. So with that, I put him in a diaper, read to him, and put him down for a much-needed nap. I have to admit I was relieved. We'll try again in a couple of months, but for right now, he is definitely NOT ready. Now I have time to replace my carpet with easy to clean wood floors!

2 comments:

  1. The same thing happened when I tried it with Wyatt - he was around 2 1/2. We aborted mission after day 1. When he was 3, I took off his diapers and never put them back on (except a pullup for nighttime). The first day, he didn't have a single success. But after the 2nd day, he never had another accident - and never has to this day. Several of my friends who had potty trained kids at age 2 still deal with accidents. I think being a little older definitely helps. But of course, ever child is different.=)

    ReplyDelete