Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Two-Year-Old Theology


One of Tommy's great Christmas gifts he received this year is a children's Bible called The Jesus Storybook Bible. Given to him by his Aunt Sue and Uncle Rich, this is not your average children's Bible. No little 4-line rhymes about Daniel in the lions' den and Noah's Ark. This Bible is full of rich theology and makes sure to share how each story, from Genesis through Revelation is really about Christ and God's faithfulness. I would recommend everyone with children to go out and get it.

Dean and I have decided to read one story to him every night before bed. While it has great illustrations and very much of an adventure book feel, some of the storyies can get a little heavy for a two-year old. Last night while I was reading about Noah's Ark, explaining how it was one of the greatest accounts of God's punishment of sin (I explained that sin makes Him sad) and simultaneous forgiveness, outside of the cross, he seemed to be listening so intently to what I was saying. However, as soon as I took a breath, he interrupted me to very excitedly point out a giraffe exiting the ark. Oh well, I guess he is only two. We'll still continue to read it to him every night. Maybe we can cover the wrath of God and the redemption of humankind next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment