Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Peace

My parents are going to a funeral today. A relative of mine was killed in a tragic hunting accident on Saturday. He was 15 and his father and two brothers (one older, one younger) were in the boat with him when it happened. Since I got the e-mail on Saturday night, I haven't stopped thinking about it. About the father who had to watch this surreal scene involving his son. About his brothers and the therapy they will surely have to undergo. About their mother getting that unexpected, but most dreaded phone call. About the unexplainable loss they will all feel. And about Thanksgiving tomorrow.

I don't know what the state of their faith is, but I do know that the mother sent an e-mail to everyone asking them to pray like crazy for their family. Yesterday I was in the car and was listening to an awesome CD, "Together" and the first track is a remake of Michael W. Smith's "Agnus Dei". As I listened I thought about this poor mother (I can identify with her most, being a mother), and as I began to cry, all I could pray was that one day they would come to the place of healing where they could praise God with the words of that song "For the Lord God Almighty reigns... You are Holy... Worthy is the Lamb..."

And one of my favorite verses came to mind "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

I know that may be the last thing on their minds as they go through today and tomorrow, but I pray that somehow the unbelievable peace that is found only in Christ will guard their hearts and their minds. Peace that is beyond their understanding. And that tomorrow for Thanksgiving they will be able to thank God for giving and taking away and for providing that immeasurable peace once He has taken away.

1 comment:

  1. I will definitely be praying for that family. Losing someone so close is something that I haven't had to experience yet, but I know it's something I could only survive with knowing Christ.

    ReplyDelete