Friday, November 14, 2008

The Storm

The thunder started at about 5:30 this morning. It woke me up, I'm sure it woke Dean up, and I knew it would only be a matter of time before Tommy woke up. He finally did, around 6:20. There was a huge thunder clap and he immediately started screaming. I ran in there and grabbed him, his fingers tightening around my neck. I brought him right back into our room, while he was saying "All done sleep!" and rubbing his eyes the whole time. The lightning was flashing like crazy and we got back into our bed. I cuddled him close and immediately his eyes closed.

He didn't make a sound for the next hour. The storm kept going, but I held him and it was as if he didn't even notice it.

Now of course I have a spiritual parellel here. When I look back at the various "storms" in my life, whether they were big or small, I reacted to them very differently based on where I turned for my comfort. In each and every situation, when I would turn to Christ and know where my true peace came from, the "peace that passes understanding" , it was amazing how my outlook changed. Did the situation change? Eventually. Storms do end, they don't go on forever. But in the meantime, I was able to weather it. And when things do seem to get overwhelming and I hesitate to trust God, I have to remember his track record in my life for getting me through these times (it's perfect, in case you were wondering). Mine? Not so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment